Reminiscence

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

When you are a child u speak like a child...

When you are a child, you speak like a child. When you are an adult, you speak like an adult. When you are old and helpless, you speak like a child.

A few of us went to St Theresa's Home on 24 June 06 (Saturday) to befriend and to help the old folks there. We hope to offer our time to help at least once a month.

St Theresa's Home is a voluntary welfare organization that is committed to providing a holistic nursing programme for the disadvantaged, destitute and the aged sick in our community. This home has been in Singapore for about 70 years, having been established by the Little Sisters of the Poor back in 1953. The Little Sisters of the Poor cared for the aged poor with love and respect regardless of race or religion.

We were briefed before we start the orientation. Andrew (not his real name..forgotten actually), the person-in-charge, shared with us the history of the home and how to speak and handle the old folks in the home. Do not ask them questions like "Why are you here?", "How long have you been here?"..etc as most of them did not come to this home at their own accord.

The girls followed Estella, my good friend who is a social worker working in this home, to visit the female residents. The guys followed Andrew to the befriend the male residents.

Estella introduced us to many of the female residents. I talked to them in English, Mandarin and also broken Teo chew. I was impressed by one lady who has both her legs amputated. She has artificial legs attached instead. When we first saw her on that day, she was holding on to the railing exercising. She was very positive when we talked to her. She even sang us a Christian song, "Jesus loves me". She was so joyful despite her physical limitation.

We met another lady, who was blind in one eye. She greeted us and asked us whether our family and relatives know Christ personally in their lives. She said that all should come to know God and even offered to pray for our family's salvation.

I was awed by what God has done in these ladies' lives. As I reflect upon my own life, I realize that I need to find strength in Him in many things that I do. I can do all things through Christ who strengthen me - Phil 4:13.

It was a fruitful trip. I enjoyed talking to the old folks though I had some difficulties communicating to some in chinese dialects. I believe our presence and help brought some joy to the old folks' lives ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home