Reminiscence

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Tough but fruitful

Yesterday was a 'tough' day for me. I had lunch with my mother and I wanted to share Christ with her. It's not easy sharing Christ with her because she can be quite hard-headed. She pointed out a few areas in my life that she is not very pleased with. I was a bit affected after talking to her. As I reflected upon my own life, I am glad that we can such open communication though it hurts but I think we as Christians must really live a consistent life that reflect the love of Christ. Like what pastor always said people do not care how much you know but how much you care. To love is tough but with God all things are possible.

He who listens to a life-giving rebuke will be at home among the wise.
He who ignores discipline despises himself, but whoever heeds correction gains understanding.
The fear of the LORD teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor.
- Proverbs 15:31-33

After lunch, I went to the library to return a book then took a cab to Lion Befriender for briefing on volunteering. Our caregroup wants to do community work together once a month as a start. We will explore whether this program is what we can commit to.

In this briefing, Siti, the executive, gave an overview of who and what Lion Befriender does for the elderly community in Singapore. Mr Tay shared the fundamentals of understanding and communicating with the elderly. These are the gist of what he shared:
  • Ageing is a development process that all of us will go through in life.
  • To manage aging process holistically, we need to understand how the biology, psychology and sociology part of us interact with the outside world.
  • Communication is the giving and receiving of information. Be personal. Allow for feeling. Don't judge. Be tolerant. Be positive. Encourage self-determination. Be open to communicate in different ways.

After the briefing, I took a cab again to Harbour Front to meet a few people from my caregroup to go to Sentosa to enjoy the "Jazz by the Beach". Managed to catch up with a few friends ;-)

2 Comments:

  • My suggestion: Try to explain the gospel when they are still healthy. Even if they reject, the gospel seed is sown and we never know when the holy spirit will work to bring it to life. If you wait till they are old and bedridden, it is extremely difficult to talk about issues like death and hell. Much worse if you have unbelieving siblings. Of course - pray without ceasing.

    Do you know the song Pass Me Not. Sometimes when I sing the song, I change the words to; "While on us thou art calling, do not pass them by"

    God bless.

    By Blogger Lam Chun See, at 9:26 PM  

  • Pass Me Not


    Pass me not O gentle savior
    hear my humble cry
    while on others thou art calling
    do not pass me by
    Savior, savior, hear my humble cry
    while on others thou art calling
    do not pass me by


    Let me at a throne of mercy
    find a sweet relief
    kneeling there in deep contrition
    help my unbelief
    Savior, savior, hear my humble cry
    while on others thou art calling
    do not pass me by


    Thou the strength of all my comfort
    more than life to me
    whom have I on earth beside thee
    whom in Heaven but thee
    Savior, savior, hear my humble cry
    while on others thou art calling
    do not pass me by

    By Blogger Dee, at 11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home