Reminiscence

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Your Best Friend

Dogs apparently need no help lifting the spirits of lonely people.

A St Louis study has found that nursing home residents felt much less lonely after spending time alone with a dog than when other people joined in the visit.

"They were happier with the one-on-one...bonding with the animal. It suggests human interaction is not value-added and might be slightly detrimental."

..Sparky, a mixed breed dog..sits next to nursing home residents on their bed, listens to their stories and lets them groom it.

"He sits there very non-judgmental", she said.

"When they go to a nursing home, they lose all their possessions. They need to belong, love and be accepted. The dog gives unconditional love. They say the most incredible things in the presence of a dog."

- Extract from The Straits Times, Mind Your Body, 18 Jan 06.


Non-judgmental. How many times have we judge others on what they say and do before we really know the person and real issues? I have to confess that I judge others sometimes and I am learning not to be judgmental. Such preconcieved ideas we form before we really understand the issues will hinder open and deep communication. We may have good intention to help but what we do may cause others to withdraw instead.

Why would a person choose to talk to a dog instead of another person? Think about it.

We are social beings and we need to relate with people.

I like to talk to someone who will accept and love me for who I am. No pretension. I do not want you to help me problem solved everytime I tell you my problems. I just want to have a listening ear to hear my heart cry. Is that too hard to ask of you?

Let's learn to be a better friend to others. To seek to understand first before we speak anything.

5 Comments:

  • I guess it is not just old people and dogs. Kids speak to their imaginative friends, dolls, bolsters etc too. Kids and old people get along very well too.
    They have time for each other. We must find time for each other too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:29 PM  

  • Haha..I can still remember when I was young i talked to my dolls and teddy bears in my own imaginary world ;p

    Kids are adorable and real. You feel safe when you are with them.

    But in this post, I just to put across that we should learn to be less judgmental, listen before we speak what in our mind and hearts. Sometimes we may be surprised by what we hear...

    By Blogger Dee, at 4:51 PM  

  • I know your point. I am adding another, that is, listening, understanding and giving feeling of acceptance takes time which we sometimes don't have. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:18 PM  

  • We just do what we can within our means ;-)

    By Blogger Dee, at 10:39 PM  

  • I was at a Narnia book sharing session in Fetrinelli (a big bookshop chain in Rome) and one question asked was "Would you like to meet talking animals like in Narnia and what would you like to ask them?"

    It's true that ple talk to their pets or to things and it'll be interesting to hear from their point of view. On second thought, could it be true that ple tend to talk to animals or things exactly because they do not respond in words! We need to practise active listening...perhaps that's all ple need to hear - love and acceptance.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home